Thursday, February 14, 2008
In response to Chloe's post, yes, there is a matter that needs clarification in the articles that I have posted. It is true that Ossur, the manufacturer of the prosthetics Oscar Pistorius uses, claims that they offer no overall advantage other than allowing the disabled athlete to compete against able-bodied opponents. The I.A.A.F. has concluded, after a series of tests performed on Pistorius, that an athlete using the Cheetah expends about 25% less energy than someone competing without the prosthetic. This data is very controversial because many leading officials say that the scientist who administered the tests on Pistorius did not consider enough variables to produce a valid outcome. Personally, I think that Oscar should be allowed to participate in the Beijing Olympics regardless, but given the circumstances, more testing should definitely be done before he is permanently barred.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment